Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Is it just me or is this age of easily downloadable digital music making us all really fucking lazy?

I could pin some of this on the time taken up in raising a child but that wouldn't be entirely fair. After all most of the concerts that I used to go and see in a previous life (20-25 rock concerts in 2004-2006) didn't get rolling until 10pm or later, long after Ciaran has gone to bed. So why have I only seen 1 live rock concert in 2007? (2nd upcoming thanks to Kyle) Can I blame you sorry sods for being equally comatose when it comes to the live music experience?

And it's not restricted to rock music. The last opera I saw was over a year ago and I haven't been to see the TSO or any chamber music in a couple of years. How are the rest of you on this count? Have you seen anything lately or see anything on the horizon that looks interesting?

As for the music package itself are any of you still purchasing with any frequency. Amazingly it has been over a year since my last purchase at Soundscapes and the only CD I've bought since the summer was the new Band of Horses. If any of you are still buying the shiny silver discs are you seeing the strength of the Canadian $ reflected in the prices?

On a similar "demise of music" note I see that Sunrise downtown is now selling used CDs in addition to their regular inventory. Makes me think HMV will soon be the only game in the heart of the city.

No comments: