Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Derek, I haven't seen an actual CD, but do have downloads Nazz and Nazz Nazz.   Both are great...I see (from allmusic) there is a good looking anthology out there as well.   I think you have a shot at finding it (or others) at Soundscapes or some such, given the Todd Rundgren connection.   

And yes, it's definitely time for a CD club.    I've got some new music to play.    And could use a beer.

So my much anticipated 1994 list.  Really, anyone who knows me (and I think you all qualify) will recognize a huge number of my standard (I've heard I can be a bit repetitive) gotta haves on this list.  

Pavement - Crooked Rain 
Sebadoh - Bakesale
Sloan - Twice Removed       
Hole - Live Through This
Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand
Weezer - self titled (blue)
Toad the Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea
Superchunk - Foolish
Blur - Parklife
Live - Throwing Copper
Luna - Bewitched
Beck - Mellow Gold
Nirvana - Unplugged
Green Day - Dookie
Sonic Youth - Experimental Jet Set
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary 
Treble Charger - NC17
American Music Club - San Francisco
Len - Superstar
Tortoise (self titled)

Awesome list eh?  Really, undeniably one of the great years in rock and pop.

Problem is, 1993 is almost as good.   Maybe better.  

Nirvana - In Utero
Belly - Star
Dino Jr. - Where You Been  
Radiohead - Pablo Honey
Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Heart (still my favourite record of theirs)
Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
The Breeders - Last Splash
The Posies - Frosting on the Beater
Superchunk - On the Mouth
Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne
Eleventh Dream Day - El Moodio
Cracker - Kerosene Hat
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Bad Religion - Recipe for Hate
Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen

Bloody amazing year too.   Really.   But I would tend to choose 94 based on the inclusion of Crooked Rain and Bakesale, maybe for me the two records most emblematic of the greatness of the 90's alternative rock scene.   As I write out all of these great records I still get a bit of a chill.  I remember the feeling I had at the time of being connected to the music viscerally, and yet also intellectually and profoundly.    Perhaps I knew in my heart that feeling this much of a thrill about music (one brilliant release after another) for a two year period was unlikely to last.   And to experience at the age of thirty or so was a little unexpected.   And it was probably sometime on 1997 before I realized that the magic period was over, and in a way, had been for a while.  


  



 
 

No comments: