Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I find it hard to take seriously most songs with the word "baby" in it although Kyle, you have provided some nice choices. I'm going to take a different tack and select those baby songs that make me laugh or smile sheepishly. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Most of these songs have stuck in my head over the years sometimes to my chagrin. The haircuts in many of these videos are quite outstanding.

A #1 hit when I was a kid in Scotland. Blame the English not good celtic folk.

The Rubettes - Sugar Baby Love

Really listen to the lyrics on this classic.

Paul Anka - Having My Baby

OK this one has the word "babe" but I figure all variations are fair game.

Styx - Babe

Another classic from the great white north.

Honeymoon Suite - Wave Babies

And is there a more apt name for a band. They should have added white to remove any lingering doubt.

Bread - Baby, I'm a Want You

If I had to settle on a winner in this competition for the best song ever with the word baby it would have to be the Human League's Dont' You Want Me Baby. A bit of a cheat I know but without the word baby it fails completely. Throw in honey or sweetheart and it just doesn't work.

And if you want a truly silly baby song it doesn't get much better than TenPole Tudor's "Throwing My Baby Out with the Bathwater"

No comments: