Saturday, October 30, 2010

Anyone else care to wax nostalgic now that Sony has stopped making the walkman?

For myself, even though I was still fairly young when it came out, I remember being blown away by the concept that you could take your music with you, and not have to wait for a radio to play what you wanted to hear. I do blame the invention for pushing me in the direction of purchasing cassettes instead of vinyl, where I now cherish copies of the latter and have pretty much chucked out all my tapes, save for a few mixed ones from the mid to late 90s that we can still play in the car. Certainly got me through a lot of bus rides to school and allowed me to become better acquainted with a type of music that, when played on the home stereo, would provoke instant protest from my parents and sisters; the charms of Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me and Licensed to Ill proving somewhat elusive for my immediate family. And allowing myself to become acquainted with cooler music allowed me to meet cooler people with which I could have cooler conversations about music, literature, and life in general.

No comments: