Monday, April 30, 2012

I've got a quick post - backward looking, rather than forward, I'm afraid.  On CBC radio this morning, the DJ referred to "the late Robert Plant", and I started thinking maybe I'd missed his passing.  I came into the office and looked it up, and he appears to still be alive.  It was a bit of a coincidence because although I don't listen to much Led Zeppelin anymore, my son gave me, "The Song Remains the Same" on DVD for Christmas, and I got around to watching it on Friday night.  It was actually much better than I remembered it - at least the live music part.  I had remembered Jimmy Page as being particularly sloppy, but upon re-watching it, it was a good performance.  Not without mistakes here and there, but very listenable.  What struck me about the band as I listened to it was how good they were at putting together cool musical riffs and interludes based on very simple instrumentation - 1 guitar with bass and drums, or 1 guitar with keyboard and drums.  Sure, there were lots of self-indulgent jams (guitar with violin bow, the extended drum solo, etc), but the songs are very well written and arranged.  I've significantly upgraded my opinion of that film.  Except the goofy vignettes.  They're pretty terrible. 

No comments: