Thursday, December 06, 2012

I saw Brubeck just a few years back in Markham ...a pretty good show I'd say.  I also saw him in Paris in '85 ...pretty wicked.  I've always had a strong attachment to his music.   My father was a huge fan, born in the same year.  Time Out came out in the year my sister was born, '59, and i still remember my dad blasting the album on warm spring days in Montreal, the doors and windows open.  I think that the mathematical complexity of the album and its infectious swing were what appealed most to me...it was fresh and complex and to my ear i have always thought it was structure like a good piece of modern architecture.  I'm not saying i understand it ...I just love it.

I'm not a list maker and would not be willing to select a cut off of Time Out as my favourite, suffice to say that it is one of my favorite albums.  Interestingly though, from my perspective, with great jazz musicians you don't often see one particular album or session rise so unequivocally above the rest of the body of their work. ...???

No comments: