Monday, January 24, 2005

I'll start with a list of my most listened to jazz music. This isn't the best, most significant yadds yadda list, but jazz being as musically "out" as it sometimes is, some of the the really important stuff can be harder on the ears, and doesn't get the late-night spins. And some of the below-noted is the best of the best. It's worth mentioning that I prefer the jazz era from about 1952 to 1966 - a great period for sure, but many think jazz was already dying by then, along with the original be-boppers like Parker, Powell, etc. Me, I think it's the best combination of groovy beats, true musical expression outside the first wave of bop (which at times has a sort of "look at me I'm playing a flat fifth and sharp ninth back-to-back" bravado quality to it), and some incredible experimentation and re-thinking of form. Though, as I say, none of the stuff I'll list is could be described as hard listenining (so, no Shepp, Coleman, Bley e.g.).

I poked around my collection and came up with ten. OK, fourteen. In no order they are:

vocal
Sarah Vaughan - with Clifford Brown (1954) (this one is a must have)
Anita O'Day - Anita Sings the Most (1956)
Helen Merrill - Dream of You (1956)

instrumental
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (1959)
Bill Evans - Interplay (1962) ....this was a tough choice. He is my favourite jazz man of all, but this record is unusual in that he's playing with a guitar player (Jim Hall) and trumpeter (Freddie Hubbard), whereas he typically led a trio. His trio stuff is gorgeous and equally (probably more) essential, particularly Portrait in Jazz, Explorations, and Live at the Village Vanguard, thought it all has some quality to it, but this was the first Evans disk I fell in love with, and I think for a newcomer to jazz the extra instrumentation adds melody and life.
Hank Mobley - No Room for Squares (1963). I'm a huge fan of this guy's catchy hard bop (blues-based jazz), though he's considered a bit of a non-innovator. He has about five records that are all mighty fine.
Charlie Parker - Bird's Best Bop on Verve (1951 - 53)
Charles Mingus - Ah Um (1959) - so much soul, guts, and energy, and beautiful composition.
Bud Powell - The Best of Bud Powell on Verve (1950 - 55). My second favourite pianist after Evans, though utterly different....flamboyant, bold be-bop.
Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land (1964)
Chet Baker - The Best of Chet Sings (1952-53) - no better choice if you're trying to get a girl to...oh right, we're all married. Despite the cliche, this is some of my favourite music.
Joe Lovan0 - From the Soul (1991) - my favourite "modern" jazz tenor man...though even Joe's gotta be in his mid-fifties by now.
David Murray Quartet - Body and Soul (1993) - my other contemp fave, this album is the hardest thing on the list, though it's really not that tough - angst, energy, and creativity combined into amazing soundscape.
Joe Henderson - In and Out (1964) Could have chosen any of his from this period...he was teaming with trumpeter Kenny Dorham.
Coltrane - Africa Brass Sessions (1961) . Same story, pick a Coltrane record and you're likely fine, though careful with anything from 1965 onwards (unless you want to clear Sarah out of the house). I love the huge passionate cacophany of this record, played with a horn section arranged by Eric Dolphy, consisting of, among other things, nine French horns.

That'll do for now. Top 50 would have been easier....lots of gaps which I'll let the other guys fill if they're so inclined.

And as for writing on other subjects, that'll have to wait for another night.

Maybe "Best Canadian records" isn't hat inspiring after all. (No, goddamn it, I will blog on this tomorrow).

Stu, Feb 27 at the El Mo sounds cool. And I'm going to be at The Shoe this coming Monday (31st) to see a neighbour's nephew's band play a little showcase if anyone's looking for an excuse for a beer.

No comments: