Monday, August 13, 2007

Hey cool clip of Mingus' sextet. The sound sucks on my PC but the visual is great. Research tells me that this sextet was a group of near titans - Jacki Byard on piano, Clifford Jordan on tenor, Mingus' long time drummer Dannie Richmond, and the revelatory Johnny Coles on trumpet (great solo he plays here). That Mingus sextet released two or three live disks around the same time ('64), so were obviously a pretty strong live band. Clearly I've got to spend more time on YouTube. I hadn't heard of the new disk - I'll have to track 'er down.

On a similar note, I saw from e-music that Bill Evans has "released" a number of new recordings, one of which is Live in Ottawa (1974), recorded outside at Camp Fortune, where I attended many live shows over the years as a teen. For those of you who are Bill Evans obsessed (OK, that's only me) the sound quality on this new one is great and the trio is in great form, from the 3 or 4 tracks I sampled. E-music has a pretty full collection of Evans' music, if you hadn't noticed that yet, and were looking for some monthly subscription filler.

No comments: