Saturday, July 04, 2009

Wow, Stuart nailed that. Looks like Brian sounds like Spoon. Pretty good song although I'm not sure I need to see a band from the Peg on a best of the decade list.

As for the Microphone's I will have to check out that disc. I own their previous disc 2000's "It Was Hot We Stayed in the Water" (pretty good album title) and the only truly memorable track was the 11 minute "Glow" (part 1 I guess).

Keeping with the cancon bent of Brian's selections I will put forth Destroyer's 2001 disc "Streethawk: A Seduction". Since it had a very 70's (Bowie, Drake) feel to it anyway this is an album that has aged well. Might be the key to any great record, not sounding like everything else that comes down the pike during the same period. Joanna Newsom's "Ys" either confirms or blows that theory to kingdom come depending on how you feel about our harp playing friend.

From the following year, 2002, Beck's "Sea change" is an album that I might have bypassed completely if I had listened solely to the critics. Stuart set me straight on this one and I picked it up at Soundscapes on my way to New Zealand for my year long soujourn. Part of the reason for selling house and packing up for the big adventure was my imminent 40th birthday and this album lived with me for the whole time I was gone as it suited my melancholy mindset to a T.

This album and the Flaming Lip's "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots", another favourite of the decade, were on constant rotation during my year off and for me they have a similar vibe. Artists baring their soul, one on a very personal scale and the Lips' almost on a planetary scale. Both great albums for contemplating your small place on this big planet.

No comments: