Monday, May 10, 2010

I should add, existentially:

I do sometimes feel a bit guilty for criticizing Canadian bands who: a) have talent b) are willing to take risks and explore interesting forms of musical expression c) are not Nickelback d) have put out some truly great music. And I'm quite aware of the fact that I personally haven't been able to accomplish any of these things (with the exception of c). Given the magnitude of godawful music pumped out of every radio and television every second of every day, on some level it seems...I don't know...insular?decadent? insane? to be picking through faults of those who actually care about creating art.
But--here's where I justify it, and you knew this was coming--this is kind of the point of this blog: to comb through the minutiae and share frustrations and reactions and recommendations, etc. A lot of times I read it and post while I'm listening to music, which shapes what I think about and post here as well. So I well understand Derek's passion for the songs and tracks that he mentions and I don't take offense at his swipes at bands I might like. And I believe that he, and the rest of you as well, feel likewise. Thought it was worth pointing this out, at least for the benefit of any new invitees, who may wonder what this is all about.

No comments: