Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I'll second that emotion where Brooklyn Rider is concerned. One of the few, of not only disc, with a classical bent that got any sort of heavy rotation for me in 2010.

As far as jazz is concerned I really enjoyed the Vijay Iyer "Historicity" disc, the Gareth Williams Power Trio and their album "Shock", Dave Douglas' "The Spark of Being" Get the Blessing's "Bugs in Amber" and a couple of oldies Bobby Jackson's "The Cafe Extra-Ordinaire Story" and The Lloyd McNeill Quartet's "Asha".

Unlike Brian I have not come to love Liam Sillery's disc with repeat listens. This got a rave 5 star review in Downbeat and I've really tried with this one but it leaves me cold.

As for the best in pop/rock etc for 2010 here's my list in no particular order with the exception of #1 which goes to the lovely Charlotte Gainsbourg's "IRM". The rest:

Damien Jurado - Saint Bartlett
Forest City Lovers - Carriage
High Places - High Places vs Mankind
Women - Public Strain
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
P.S. I Love You - Meet Me at the Muster Station
Mice Parade - What it Means to be Left Handed
Lower Dens - Twin-Hand Movement
Massive Attack - Heligoland

I think I'm with you Kyle on the Jonsi disc which has a few decent tracks but never really comes together as an album and the Book's disc I've almost come to like less with each listen.

No comments: