Thursday, May 31, 2012

Funny and interesting link Kyle. Can I say, for the record, that you have a remarkable ability to source entertaining stuff for the blog? Well done amigo.

Re the anti-Beatles, a couple of thoughts. (a) I liked the reference to the somewhat obscure (meaning-wise I mean) Peter Paul and Mary song, which in fact lays waste to many hallowed artists and their bandwagon-esquing around the Peace and Love movement, all under the quite funny banner of "I Dig Rock and Roll Music".  (b)  I love the Barbarians song, and am likely the only Metabeat with an album of theirs (don't rush to purchase it though....that early garage sound has I would imagine a limited appeal among the M/Beats'ers.). Having said that, (c) those of you who don't have the Nuggets collection of Psychedelic / Garage classics from the 1965-68 period (compiled by Lenny Kaye in 1972) truly are missing out on something. Go get that one.  Having trouble with my linking so I'll just list the URL

http://www.allmusic.com/album/nuggets-original-artyfacts-from-the-first-psychedelic-era-1965-1968-mw0000599845

Althought they've bolstered the release with 3 new disks of music, the original album was just the first Disk, which was pretty formative for me when I came upon it in the late seventies.
Finally I'm surprised not to see London Calling on the list, given its famous reference to "phoney Beatlemania".  Anytime you can link the Clash into a music discussion you score points, don't you?

No comments: