Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Allman Brothers Band

I just finished Gregory Allman's autobiography (which I received as a gift), and I'm curious if any of you are fans of the band.  The author comes across as extremely superficial and self indulgent, so I'm taking everything he says with plenty of skepticism.  But based on the musicians who have played with them, and also on third party sources such as AMG, they do appear to have been a highly respected band.  People generally cite their blending of blues, soul, gospel and jazz stylings into a distinctively southern sound as a significant influence on many ensuing bands.  And their line up, which included 2 drummers and 2 lead guitars that played a lot of harmonized lines was somewhat innovative I think.  Their style of 20-30 minute jam songs isn't my cup of tea, so I've only listened to them a bit, but I thought I'd throw this out to the group.  Great band, or self-important claptrap?

No comments: