Thursday, August 08, 2013

Agreed, Derek. 

I feel a little bit like I was hit with a sucker punch.  I first tuned in to Alan Cross' "Throne of Glory" set (and who the hell thought up that moniker?) that was outstanding.  A set of songs, many of which i had never heard before strung together along with some meaningful banter and amusing anecdotes by someone, like him or not, who has a great radio voice and is articulate, insightful, well informed and, if you ask me, plain entertaining.  That's what i like about radio; human interaction, and 88.1 has none.

I also caught Adam Vancouverdon's guest set.  I think it's a nice idea and wish that that was the format of the station ...one to three hour sets by people with musical taste, be it to my liking or not.  Radio should have personality.  That's what i liked about CKLN.  Despite it's problems and un-professionalism, no DJ was on the air for more than 3hrs a week and that in part kept it fresh, if at times chaotic.

As for labels of what we call it, be it alt or indie or whathaveyou, i don't really care what you call it.   Make it good good music, don't over-commercialize it and and don't repeat.  There is SO much good music out there and a dearth of open airwaves that host it that i wonder why there is a need to fall into the same old formats.  I was wondering if the CRTC regs and royalties have something to do with it.  I am under the impression that on of the reasons that CKLN got their licence yanked was that year after year, on air personalities failed to properly log and report set lists ...how hard can it be though?  (and yes i know this is a completely different beast)

No comments: