Thursday, September 19, 2013

I am always amazed when a song I love turns out to be written by someone else.... Boys of Summer fits that bill... Im not sure why Lou is so fascinated by Henley..I really like a half dozen of his solo songs and its hard not to have a soft spot for the eagles, though you may not go public with that..
The song in particular is my favorite by far from his solo years and now I find out it is written by Mike Campbel, whom I hugely admire. not least of which because of his incredible guitar solo on Runnin down a dream that he did in one take off the floor the first time he tried it... See this link for other things he wrote etc...

1 comment:

Brian said...

Interesting you should mention Mike Campbell in a post on guilty pleasures (ie Don Henley) as I've always been reluctant to admit how big a fan I am of Tom Petty, in particular the first say five records (Hard Promises being the last truly remarkable one for me, featuring the H/Breakers at their peak).

I can go track by track on all of those records....and I basically learned to play bass guitar to Damn the Torpedoes (and Hot Rocks, but that's for another post). Was never the same for me after Jeff Lynne produced (and ruined) their sound.