Wednesday, September 08, 2004

No qualms from BMO Man. Sounds like a good use of the space. My first film is Thursday night, so you can expect long, indulgent, rambling reviews beginning sometime Friday. Incidentally, as a mind-set preparation exercise, I rented Ingmar Bergman's "Persona" a couple of nights ago. To me, Bergman is one of those directors who moved film forward as an art form. This one was eerie, quiet, imponderable, quite sexy, and slightly hysterical. Classic Berman, I s'pose. It'll stay with me for a while.

As for new CD's, well, it's the fall, so I'm back into "serious" music - recent purchases have been 20th century classical (Charles Ives, Elliott Carter, and Harry Somers), plus my fave of all, and technically a jazz recording, Eric Friedlander's "Maldoror" on which he creates solo cello interpretations of Comte De Leautremont's surrealist poetry from the mid 1800's. Sounds impressive, eh? Truth is it's beautiful, even with the pretentious trappings.

No comments: