Monday, September 27, 2004

Yes indeed, Derek it's very sleepy in BlogLand. Never fear, my man, I am always able to find time to blog when I should be preparing financial forecasts, or some such mind-numbing activity.

First off, I'll mention that I am simply ignoring your hockey diatribe....I'll excuse it as the words of a man who doesn't like hockey (god forbid). You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but since this particular one doesn't mirror my own thoughts, I'll dismiss it. I need hockey, and bah fooey to you.

OK let's focus on music. The fall is all about getting serious. See you later Beach Boys, helloooo Pet Shop Boys...I mean, Brahms, Coltrane, and Sonic Youth.

I liked your list of "Derek spins", particularly the Henderson which I know and love, and the Ives, in whom I'm very interested. I've been tripping on some classical stuff (mentioned in my last blog), plus a few new releases by tried and-true-bands - Bjork, Guided By Voices, and the aforementioned Sonic Oldies. Each of them is very good, with the Bjork likely to be the one I'll keep listening to. As for GBV, their previous (Earthquake Glue) seems to me to have a few more instant classics than this (sadly) final effort. Curious to hear the differences, if any, between a Bob Pollard solo record and GBV.

On the jazz front, I recently resurrected a Joe Lovano record which, in Derek-like fashion, I bought six months ago and never listened to. It's "On this Day at the Vanguard", a live record, and is a wonderful blend of large-band energy and small-group soulfulness.

When's the next CD Club? Sometime in November would suit me.



No comments: