Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Top 10 Canadian albums in no particular order

Neil Young – Decade, I know, that’s cheatin’ but as you say, an argument can be made for the top 5 albums being all Neil so here we have 6 solid sides all in one package…with a poster to boot!

Joni Mitchell – Court and Spark, I have only recently picked up Blue and it may well overtake c & b as my fav. Joni. It’s interesting that my first two picks transplanted themselves to places other than Canada.

Tragically Hip – Up To Here, the band still young and edgy…and so quintessentially Canadian

Art Bergman – Sexual Roulette, so dark and angry and largely overlooked

Blue Rodeo – Outskirts, was this album the birth of a new Canadian music scene?

Daniel Lanois – Acadie, brings a modern edge and interpretation to very strong folk (French) roots…haunting at times

Robbie Robertson – solo debut, admittedly not very Canadian sounding at times

Leonard Cohen – The Future (1992) nobody says “get naked” like Lenny. I find this work to strongest when listened to with an understanding of his earlier writings. Here we have a great artist with a very respectable end to his career.

Arcade Fire – Funeral …I know, I know, it’s far to early to be calling this one of the all time great pop/rock albums but it’s a great representation of what great things might be on the horizon for mod. Rock

Broken Social Scene – You Forgot it in People, Again it’s a little preme to be calling it a classic but I still love it.

There you have it. Not a bad representation of 4 decades in CDN rock

No comments: