Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Back with the Blind Faith for a minute I listened to it again today as I drove to Kitchener and the track that certainly stands out for me as a killer is the final one. 15 minutes long and much influenced by earlier jazz I would say, it's a pretty cool way to end the album (contrary to Allmusic's take). The rest of the tracks don't really leave much of an impression and the opening track "Had to Cry Today" I just find plain annoying, especially at almost 9 minutes in length.

As for the laptop Stuart, Marc's advice, as self-deprecating as he is, is worth listening to. Besides obtaining the a recent model and ensuring it has USB2 also look for the ability to use firewire devices. My laptop is just about 3 years old and it has neither of the above which is frustrating at times. You can always add these capabilities after the fact with the applicable card but they don't come cheap when your dealing with notebooks instead of PCs. If you are looking for a more current model you may as well get a DVD/CD writer included instead of just CD burning capability.

As for the transfer of music from analog to digital media I still haven't perfected that art. There are many websites on this topic and I'll send you the links. On my attempts to carry this out too often the music transferred from LPs sounds distorted on the subsequent CD while it sounds fine played from the laptop before I burn the CD. Still trying to figure that out. Perhaps we can discuss further tomorrow night.

No comments: