Thursday, February 12, 2009

Offhand, I'd say Calexico's Feast of Wire, which I didn't love off the bat but about 10 listens in it all came together, the mariachis, the brooding slow orchestral build of 'Black Heart', the sweet guitar strings of 'Not Even Steve Nicks', the twangy instrumentals, all make this one of my favourite of the decade. I also recall not liking The Cure's Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me after what seems now like many listens (apart from the odd song like 'Just Like Heaven' or 'The Catch', which were instant-pleasers) and now I find I myself going back to some of the lesser known tracks on the disc like 'The Perfect Girl' and 'Like Cockatoos'. I liked but did not love 'Kid A' after the first dozen listens but find it gets better with each listen, in a way that arguably a more accomplished or at least feted album like 'OK Computer' does; perhaps this is due to the layering of sounds or the beauty in the cacophony of tracks like 'The National Anthem'.

I'm sure there are some others....will think on it and add some more....

No comments: