Thursday, June 04, 2009

Fair enough.   I didn't really imagine Jackson Browne would be a life changer for any of you, more curiosity on my part.   Though Mike I think he is in your wheelhouse.  Haven't heard from Stuart and he has a pretty big appetite for earnest 70's music, so I'll hold out a modicum of hope for a kindred spirit there.  

While I'm thinking of it, who among you have explored Brian Eno's 70's music? His first four or five records are, in turn, very different and uniformly outstanding (if that makes any sense).   Here's a lovely song from Before and After Science.

I've heard nothing but raves about the Leonard Cohen tour - I somehow thought Mike that you had seen him on this tour, I guess not.   I had always ignored Lenny (that damn stubbornness again) but in the past year have spent a fair bit of time listening to his first few records - which are remarkable as I'm sure you all know.  I'm esp. fond of this one (and, it's a nice impressionistic home made - I assume -  vid).

Re the Nazz, pretty sure I'd remember hearing that at Blow Up, inebriation notwithstanding, though they sure belonged there.    That's a fun song - the drummer must have been exhausted at the end of it.  As far as Todd, I'd say you want to start with the big hit record Something Anything.   Though he was prolific and pretty uneven in his solo recording, and I only know his early period stuff.      Interestingly, he is indeed born in the same year as Jackson Browne, and sported that same stringy long-haired look as JB.  Hmm.  It's almost eery.... Of course, everyone in 1971 looked like that.   I know I did.    Kyle wasn't born yet.

 


No comments: