Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Happy New Year all!

Stu and Mike, thanks for your lists. I had forgotten to give a shout out to the Josh Ritter disc, which is quite good. I'm still working my way through the Sufjan disc; there are bright moments to be sure but also man that are irritating, dare I say self-indulgent, by which I mean excessive use of vocoder and laser sounds which resemble those available on the casio organ i got for christmas in 1983, and 25 minute tracks that contain 2 minutes of interesting composition and 23 minutes of what could politely be called filler.

But 2010 was so 13 days ago...any favourites so far in 2011? Any music resolutions for the year?

I've already deal with my first resolution, which was to deal with the fact that my digital music collection had grown in size to eclipse that of my computer hard drive. I'm now running all of my music from an external 1T firewire drive, which should hold me for a few years. Am also backing up weekly to another usb drive, just in case. While music is generally cheaper these days, making sure that it doesn't suddenly vanish represents an ongoing cost and concern.

Beyond that, I'm planning on listening to more classical music this year, in part because there are still some great classical labels on emusic and in part because I'm finding more and more that that's what I'm gravitating towards. A function of age perhaps?

Looking forward to hearing music at Stuart's on Friday. For those who can't make it, perhaps you can post what you would play if you could.

No comments: