Sunday, January 02, 2011

I want to weigh in on the "best of 2010" topic, but I fear that I my absorption rate for new music is lower than the rest of yours. Looking at my collection, I only own 11 albums from 2010, so a top 10 list is a bit silly. I've not yet formed complete opinions on all of them yet (which, as I've said before, takes quite a few listens for me), but I'll comment as best I can:

- The Suburbs by Arcade Fire: I still like the way this band is going. None of the tracks on this album have grabbed me the way some of their earlier recordings did, but the sound of this album is still very appealing, and it is growing on me.

- Write About Love by Belle and Sebastian: Another album that's growing on me. This is the 3rd B&S recording that I've bought, and I like them all, but they all blend together for me a bit. There's something about this band that washes over me so that when I play their music, I like it, but I don't really hear the lyrics, which renders it all somewhat unfocused.

- Intriguer by Crowded House: Unsure yet. Again, no one song has smacked me in the forehead with its brilliance, but overall it seems a strong release to me.

- The Big To-Do by Drive-By Truckers: I don't know this band very well yet, but I like the heavy country-rock sound. I don't remember why I downloaded this - whether it was a recommendation from this group or from some other source. Most of my downloads over the last year were prompted by MetaBeats, so that's a good bet. But this album is disadvantaged because it's heavier than my wife likes, so it can only get played when I'm on my own.

- No Better Than This by John Mellencamp: I was actually hopeful about this album because it was touted as a return to the basics - less focus on production values. I had assumed that the implication was more focus on songwriting, but sadly that wasn't the case. The writing disappointed me - it sounds like he's trying to become another John Prine, but he doesn't pull it off.

- So Runs the World Away by Josh Ritter: This is my favorite of the bunch. I think Ritter is becoming stronger as a songwriter, and his arrangements are getting richer and more creative as well.

- Harlem River Blues by Justin Townes Earl: I've only had this one a short time, and I really don't have an impression about it yet.

- The Five Ghosts by the Stars: Brian told me that he was disappointed in this release, but I disagree. There is no track on here as good as "Your Ex-Lover is Dead", but there was no other track on the previous album as good as that one either. That is such a great song that it is perhaps unfair to judge the rest of their music against it. I think the new album shows promise - I like that they've woven a theme through it, although I haven't really absorbed all of the lyrics enough to comment meaningfully on them.

- The Age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens: Just got this one too, and I've only listened to it once. I'm not as enthusiastic about Mr. Stevens as everybody else seems to be. I've liked some of his previous stuff, but I would not number him among my favorites. Based on my previous experiences with his music, I expect it'll be even more listens than usual before I can form any kind of solid opinion.

- Majesty Shredding by Superchunk: Too early to say. I've always liked the name Superchunk, but I've never had any of their recordings before. Not sure why that is.

- Shadows by Teenage Fanclub: Another recent download, recommended by Brian. My first reaction was positive, but other than that I can't say much.



No comments: