Friday, June 03, 2011

The article re collecting and how this is changing with new media is the precise topic that I have been ruminating over for the last few months since my use of rdio.... I amk very unhappy about some of the issues here and it is a big and complex issue but it is close to my heart...let me see if i can lay it out coherently. Lets use rdio as the code for all this future type of online streaming where you have access to virtually any recording.. Apple is coming out with something smilar and will likely kill rdio , but by whatever name rdio like interfaces seem inevitable so.........

Pros of "rdio" type system


  • ability to access any record from office, car, home, cottage etc

  • ability to read about a disc and then instantly play the entire disc ellimates the "I thought i would like it but its shit after a few listens I wish i hadent bought it experience"

  • ability to share discoveries with friend easily

Current problems with rdio ( but perhaps I am not using it to its full potential yet)



  • I cant organise my music into genres making it hard to find stuff on my collection or to shuffle all my jazz records which is something i do all the time

  • you cant pick 12 albums from rdio and shuffle just those 12

  • too much available material makes controlling the program difficult without committing too much time to making playlists

  • In short, the user interface is very weak but maybe can be improved upon and apple will likely have this worked out

  • Perhaps an iPAD with an Apple designed rdio system could also enably me to lie on the couch and scroll through the album artwork and information package that you get with buying a hardcopy cd, while I listen ....Kind of crucial for classical and jazz...

AS you can see its the interface which is the problem and I dont agree with the author of the article Kyle posted , that when he happens across a great song by chance that he had lost that this is good and acceptable.... Sometimes i like to do that but I also dont want to forget about great albums, and if your collection is organized well like my mp3s are, then you dont forget them ...because you can find them, something thats mnot possible with rdio systems yet...


I will also dearly dearly miss the day when i cany stumble into a record cd shop after a few too many and browse for an hour or 2.... I agree with the article in how there is something tangible and physical about hard copies of music... moreso vinyl but cds still do it to a degree...


So I end with 3 querstions;



  • do you still buy hard copies of music now

  • If you do then why?

  • If you do, do you see yourself stopping this practice?

Maybe Im just an old sentimental bastard who needs to be brought into the real world...


s


No comments: