Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Kyle, lol.

Hey anybody out there listening to the remastered Some Girls? it was such a record for me as a kid, and the new maters sound sound mighty crisp. Nice. The second record of unreleased material has some quality songs on it as well, though in most cases it's obvious why the songs were excluded from the record......good insight into how to piece together something cohesive sounding from a process that at one stage must have felt pretty disparate, based on the longer list of 20 tracks. I've renewed my 30-year old fascination with some of those songs (hello Before they make me run) and the sound of the band overall.

2 comments:

kyle said...

Though we have the album, I never listened to it much, but agree that the reissue is quite good. Seeing it on Rdio a few weeks back gave me an opportunity to revisit it and enjoy. The last good Stones album? Or do people still enjoy Tattoo You?

Brian said...

I would say the last great rather than good Stones album. It's among my very favorites of theirs, evoking a sleazy 70's Pre-disneyfied NYC (where most of the band lived at that point) as well as any record I can think of.

Tattoo You has some good moments, as do a couple of their other 80's albums but they are such self-consciously commercial releases they are nowhere near the pantheon IMO.