Thursday, March 01, 2012

Now Kyle, couldn't you have chosen one of the countless, execrable Davy Jones' vehicles as your song to post? How about I Wanna Be Free, or Forget That Girl, or hey, how about one of the most laughable songs in the history of pop "The Day We Fall in Love"?

So yes, Davy was almost without exception absolutely godawful and horrendous. The only Monkee that couldn't play an instrument or write a song - get a load of his bass-dance in the Pleasant Valley video - OMG that is hilarious. Whereas Tork and Nesmith were bona fide musicians at least, and Dolenz learned the drums (well, that's being kind) and wrote a bunch of pretty great songs. First to die, and fair 'nough I say.

So I appreciate the chance to eulogize as I do like the Monkees, particularly the brief period after they broke away from the tyranny of those bastard record labels and fascist producers and made their own record, the outstanding "Headquarters"! Yeah baby. (well, it's pretty good anyway - four or five songs that are genuinely cool and of-the-moment). And then the follow up, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones, is filled with strong, lesser known tracks. Both those records will be featured by moi at a future music night, as a solemn memorial to Pre-Fab Four.

So, while acknowledging all of the absolute dreck that Davy Jones will be remembered for, I guess the question I'm left with is, what was his best song? Slim pickings, and many would say Daydream Believer, or, even better, this one, but not I. For me this track always packed a bit of punch very uncharacteristic of Davy's "ouevre".

(Wacky semi-live recording here too, though Dolenz isn't playing the drum part and Nesmith is only playing part of the guitar part - fair enough, he's not a flamenco expert :) ). The pure studio version sounds better but I love the visual of this one, with Davy getting on the crane.

Davy Jones RIP.

2 comments:

kyle said...

Should I shuffle on this mortal coil before Brian, can one of you make sure he doesn't write my obit?

Brian said...

Was I too harsh on Davy? Perhaps eulogizing isn't my thing?