Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Yet another artists RIP.... Richie havens , whom some of you may only know by the iconic woodstock performance "Freedom"    is an artist of greater depth then I originally thought. I bought a double album from the 60's recently on the advice of Bert (owner of Vortex records ...still around at Yonge and Eglington....) ...this album is a really fine slice of 60's pop/folk/psych    A mixed bag of covers and originals.it hangs together due to great songs and lovely arrangements......I love it.....worth well more then the 3 stars here

3 comments:

Brian said...

I was planning to post on Richie as well today. Really a remarkable singer and performer, so soulful and expressive. His records from the last sixties are are worth a listen, though somewhat different from each other (I wasn't aware of a box, will look that up). I like "Mixed Bag" and "Richie Havens 1983". I expect to see some collectiosn updated on Rdio......

Incidentally, and related, I had an idea for our next music showdown (Stuart cover your ears) which was 60's music, with points for obscurity - so call it "60's Obscure". Could do the same for any other decade (or all decades) of course, but that was the one I was thinking of.

Brian said...

Oops Stu, I just clicked on the album you reference ansd I see that it IS "Richie Havens 1983", and not a box set. I can be a dolt sometimes, lol. ANyway, good recod, I really love it.

Anonymous said...

I will be playing it tonight Brian,.,,in honour of the man...amazing how many great 60's albums there are out there still relatively unknown by the masses...