Saturday, April 27, 2013

Your opinion please - An Appointment with Mr. Yeats

A while ago I suggested a mechanism to encourage more participation in our blog, whose pulse has grown weak.  The concept is that we take turns selecting an album to put before the group and inviting comment.  Your reasons for selecting any particular album are unconstrained - an old favorite, something new and different or something that you believe to be overlooked or misunderstood.  Tell us about your choice and offer your own thoughts about it.  Each of us is then asked to listen the album in its entirety and post our own thoughts - short or long, positive or negative.  That was the original concept - it is open to improvement.

Brian responded in the classic management style - supporting the idea, and then assigning me with the action item to actually implement it.  So I'm going to give it a whirl - the album I've chosen to kick this off is "An Appointment with Mr. Yeats" by the Waterboys.  I don't know whether any or all of you are familiar with this album, but I was not until recently, though it was released in 2011.  I discovered it in February while searching for a birthday present for my brother.

I have been an enthusiastic Waterboys fan since I first heard, This is the Sea.  I particularly love Mike Scott's dramatic lyrics, with his "murderous skies" and his "sea of lights sparkling on the face of a pearl".  This particular album is a departure in that respect, as the concept is to put music to Yeats' poems.  Scott had already done this once, with "The Stolen Child" on Fisherman's Blues; not my favorite track from that album, but one that I quite liked.  That album is a good reference point for this one - the music is much more consistent with the Celtic folk inspired songwriting than with the more rock-influenced writing that he displays on albums like This is the Sea and A Pagan Place.  The Yeats lyrics lend themselves well to Scott's musical treatment - the resulting songs sound very natural and cohesive.  Having stumbled across this record years after its release, I was worried that it would be a weak album that had faded into obscurity deservedly.  On the contrary, I think it deserves a place among the top Waterboys albums - and a little research shows that I am not alone in rating it highly.  I don't know how I missed it when it was released!

The music is passionate and energetic, and, as I said,  it fits the poetry beautifully.  Particular favorite tracks for me are "The Hosting of the Shea", "Before the Worlds was Made" (with guest vocalist Katie Kim, whose distinctive voice I really like) and "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death".  The rest of the songs are also strong - I like it from start to finish.  I also found this cool link to a blog post from Mike Scott himself, with track by track notes on the album.

So there we have it - an opportunity for all of you to listen to something you might not otherwise have played, and a chance to voice your opinions.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts about An Appointment with Mr. Yeats, and to listening to the albums on which you choose to shine the spotlight.

6 comments:

Brian said...

Mike I have to say that I was skeptical when I saw you lauding a late-period Waterboys record, despite (or because of) my massive fan-ship of their earlier oeuvres.

But after two full listens I'm really impressed. This is an outstanding full-blooded W/boys record unlike any I have heard in more than 25 years. Strong, memorable songs, ranging from quiet to rocking, hook-laden though poetic songs, not weighed down, perhaps even enhanced, by the Yeats poetry . Wow, great choice. For those of you who like Mike Scott (um hello, Marc?), put this one on your playlist.

I wonder how well this record did commercially? The album's title is pretty horrendous IMO, but I think it would resonate with multi-generational music fans, and yet the Waterboys name may not carry any oomph with anyone under 35.

Anyway, great choice, well plucked from obscurity Mike!

kyle said...

Applaud the initiative, Mike and am giving this one a listen right now. Will share more thoughts later.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone under the age of 35 who have even heard of the Waterboys, let alone had any opinions regarding their level of oomph.

Anonymous said...

Well done for getting out that push Mike...excellent plan...
however, I am not sure of Mr. Yeats..I am a fan of the W-boys and I find them an anomaly as they could really be 3 separate bands... The 80's over the top synthish /rock-pop with the over the top production to match , then there is the celtic side

Anonymous said...

....SORRY PART 2 OF MY COMMENT...
such as Fisherman's Blues, and then there is the more straight ahead side such as I found Yeats.... Some of this 3rd category marc has introduced me to, but I find it a bit hit and miss...and so far I am in the later category on this one...my loss, as usual...

Brian said...

Stu Stu Stu.....trust me this is worth another go (remember Village Green Preservation Society).

Derek said...

Nice selection Mike.

Have to say I was in the same camp as Brian in my skepticism. I haven't listened to anything from Mike Scott or the Waterboys since Fisherman's Blues and I was a huge fan back in the day seeing them in their heyday at the Concert Hall.

What a pleasant surprise then to listen to this album for the first time and with a few exceptions enjoying the ride as they cover all sorts of musical territory.

Highlights for me are track 2 "Song of Wandering Aengus" reminiscent for me of a more straightforward Mercury Rev and the simple and lovely "Sweet Dancer".

I was thinking the album was petering out with overly long and pedantic "September 1913" with it's Hill Street Blues piano and the next song "An Irish Airman Forsees His Death" but it comes back strong with the three closers including my personal fave "Politics".