Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Admittedly, I've been less excited about BDB since the Fish record. Though I will say the the latest one has become a bit of a grower.

Damon was actually a little annoying the other night. Dare I say, smug? Self-indulgent at least. The show lacked intensity, and while there were certainly great moments (Once Around the Block, The Shining, and three or four from the new record were truly great, for ex), there was a lot of down-time, energy-wise, and a number of BDB's more recent songs showed themselves as banal piano singer-sowngriter efforts. Billy Joel, anyone? OK, that's a bit harsh. He seemed kind of in love with himself and indifferent to the audience at the same time - had to start songs again on three occassions when he forgot words or chords. Which I can deal with if it's honest or from nervousness. When he really lost me was when he took twenty minutes to introduce the band over a cheesy 60's soul bazz and drum groove ("take it down......OK....bring it up again"....I kid you not), and then didn't "have time" to play a number of the goodies from the first two records (I'm including About a Boy) .....well, poor judgment, if nothing else.

All in all, about a six out of ten. Looking forward to Friday's choices....meanwhile, back to reading about chimps tearing each other to bits.





No comments: