Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Re Reviewers;
Brian, I think its a very sharp double or triple edged sword. On the one hand I have had exactly the same experience you had with the smith disc. And been equally annoyed at the reviewer ( and myself moreso)....On the other hand I have been pointed to some truly beautiful music (like grant lee phillips last solo disc) ... which only came through reading reviews.
The other option of previewing discs reither at soundscapes or on the web (at all music guide) is equally dangerous because one ends up more likely to pick up music which is initially approachable, (and therefore usually quickly tiresome)...
Perhaps the best approach is to do what marc does and simply steal them ... just kidding..perhaps the best approach is to share the discs we have more sistematically, in other words share in larger quantities but record who has what. Listening repeatedly is the only way. I guess downloading off the web is the other option for some...
s

No comments: