Monday, October 24, 2005

I actually don't mind "You are a runner..." by Wolf Parade and am hoping Brian does too, as it was a last minute addition to his belated birthday disc. I've only listened to the album twice and haven't really wrapped my head around it yet so I’ll hold off on judgments but I suspect that you and Stuart are now squarely in the anti-Wolf Parade camp, having endured an apparently less than stellar recent concert of theirs.

Also, when you say, “Threw on an oldie”, do you really mean, “I finally cracked the cellophane wrapper on a cd I purchased years ago”? I thought so.

Regardless, I've now decided to download 'Spoke' as I've recently downloaded the full album for 'Feast of Wire' based on Stuart's suggestion and can't believe it took me this long to get around to listening to the whole thing. In short, I'm quite hooked so I'm looking forward to 'Spoke'.

Re: your question: I often buy discs based on good reviews but I've become more discerning about who I take advice from in recent years. Rolling Stone loves it? This means nothing to me. Good review on Pitchfork? If the review avoids smarmy, nonsensical references, deftly parodied nicely by comic/actor David Cross , then I'm more inclined to buy. Then there are artists who I just don’t ‘get’. We all have them and for me, Fiona Apple, is one of them (along with P.J. Harvey, whose music just doesn’t work for me). Her latest album has been very well reviewed but I’m just not interested.

Glad you referenced All Songs Considered, which does a great weekly podcast, as does CBC Radio 3, whose most recent podcast I've quite enjoyed. Referenced this week was a website I'd not found before and may be of interest to you all: www.newmusiccanada.com .

I've added this link to the list of links on the right side of the screen.

As for bad tracks to start an album, I continue to loathe the first track off of the Fiery Furnaces' 'Blueberry Boat'-- 'Quay Cur'--the remainder of which has grown on me (and only after 20 listens!). Can't think of any others at the present time but will add more.

No comments: