Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Kylie, I've always loved the Bukowski song. It's one of the tunes on the "Good News" album that stretches away from the (really great) formula of rocky-hip-hop.

So today's BD morning shuffle was a pretty good one I thought, and worth laying out for y'all. It included Ella singing "Love is Here to Stay" (for the record, I really don't love Ella, despite the gorgeous, round voice, she totally lacks soul for me), the Five Americans with their great mid-sixties pop song "Western Union"; jazz pianist Don Friedman's "Extension" from his fantastic later-sixties album, Metamorphosis - lovely sombre, modal in style with some out elements in the solo-ing, well worth picking up; John Cunningham's "Losing Myself Too" from his excellent Beatlesque release "Happy Go Unlucky" in the early 00's, and the first movement from Nikolay Myaskovsky's seventh symphony - a twentieth century Russian composer, buddy of Prokofiev's who studied with him, and at times there are similarities.

Stu - thanks for the update on Damien. Figured I was the last to the party on him.....I read that his earlier stuff is very strong and will definitely pursue it. I can say that the current release is good too (though it might dredge up a Strokes debate that I would be loathe to enter into, so I won't bring it up).

No comments: