Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Thanks - fun article and they hit on some really good ones, though I take exception to ANYone's version of Hey Jude (I know the much ballyhooed Wilson Pickett version but not Elvis', which simply cannot be better than the Beatles', I'm sorry, which to my ears is still truly extraordinary).

Having spent a lunch discussing it, though I would have benefited from having one or more of you there to spur on the convo, I would add a few (interestingly in each case the original is a fine performance as well).....like The Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man, REM's Superman, possibly Manfred Mann's Blinded by the Light, possibly the Pixies' Winterlong, possibly Egolillys' Ricki Don't Lose That Number (OK, OK), Blondie's Hanging on the Telephone, The Beatles Twist and Shout, The Stones Time is on my Side (haven't heard the original by Irma Thomas, but am hoping/trusting it's not as good); and Nina Simone's To Love Somebody.

And Stu, I was hoping to join you for a a bite tomorrow but V has a doctor's appointment at the end of the day so I am on kiddy pick up etc. See y'all at The Rex at 8:30 or so.

No comments: