Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My kids are also getting into music that I used to listen to, but for the most part, it's stuff that I no longer like very much. My son tends to the heavier side - AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc. My other son hasn't really carved out a particular identity, but his favorite radio is the local classic rock station, which I find very tedious. My daughter has fallen under the influence of a friend with a strong interest in music, and she's started to go to concerts at local clubs. She's into ska and a variety of different genres that all sound like punk to me. I can't really say that any of them have re-introduced me to some old favorites. I do get the occasional nice moment of nostalgia when an old favorite from Led Zeppelin gets aired, but that's about it.

I do remember seeing "Live Rust" back in the '80s and loving it. The first time I ever heard of Neil Young was when I was living in Belgium in 1979. At the time, I was into all that heavy stuff that my son is currently listening to. I bumped into a girl at the local commissary (a girl that I happened to have an unrequited crush on) who was deliberating over a copy of "Rust Never Sleeps". Knowing that I was Canadian, she asked my opinion, assuming that I would know all about Neil Young. It was just one more awkward stumbling block confirming a relationship that was not to be.

No comments: