Wednesday, May 13, 2009

least funniest on the show was skippy, the next door neighbour, who i mostly just wanted to punch in the face. but you mentioned satellite radio...

I find it a mixed bag really. I enjoyed the access to the great national public radio programming in the US, which tends to steer clear of the wholly unjustified smug self-amused tone and lame attempts at humour that infects most CBC programming. And four different types of alternative music stations meant I could skip from 90s grunge to 80s new wave to some 'must have just been profiled on pitchfork' stuff. And satellite kicks the living bejeezus out of any commercial radio station in Toronto, which could very well offer the worst radio options of any city in North America, though this is a topic for another day.

But there's something a little overwhelming about having 200+ choices. Even when I was really digging an old Joe Jackson song I hadn't remembered existed or I got to hear a new Peter Bjorn and John song that sounded interesting but actually didn't sound like any of their previous stuff but I knew it was them because I could click on an info button and it told me all the details...even then, I couldn't help but wonder if I was missing something even more interesting or fond memory-inducing on another channel. And if a song came on that didn't immediately grab me, I quickly switched to another channel. Guess my point is that satellite radio only served to decrease my already very short attention span.

Other 'But...' question: it worth the X$/month? If, god forbid, I ever had to commute into the city for work from the suburbs, I would gladly shell out the monthly fee. If I was driving from high park to summerhill everyday, though, I'd save my dosh (or invest it in red wine).

No comments: