Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Boys - we haven't got together to play new music for a while (what with the Clash of the Decades as our last get together, and the next one now scheduled to be a follow-on "Unheralded Below-The-Radar Nugget-Gems of the 80's and 90's".......I tried to think of more metaphors to mix in there but ran out of inspiration), so I feel I've lost the thread of what everyone's listening to and liking in the past few months.

Before I list out a few recent faves of mine, I wanted to mention that I believe we may have a couple of new posters out there, sitting on the sidelines - Adam and Dave. If so, don't be shy - just put it out there, and let the group tear your favourite music to pieces.

So, carrying on then, nothing earth shattering in my corner, though I've enjoyed the follow up releases from Headlights - which is more of the same but with a bit more complexity in the songs (slower, more arranged); Midlake - a big shift toward finding inspiration in the late 60's English folk movement, dirge-like at times but melodic and complex; and Laura Veirs - more great moody singing/song-writing. Another I'm enjoying (from the "Lit Rock" category) is Throw Me the Statue's latest. Odd, difficult-to-get-a-handle-on-songs, but man can that guy can write a lyric.

Bands that are new (or new to me), because there are older releases in here....Rosebuds, this record from 2008 is interesting, it gets under my skin a bit, a couple of songs like Life Like and Another Way In are immediately appealing, while others feel a bit slick and empty. The new Quasi seems pretty strong - more "Rock" than their previous records , and Broken Bells (the new "band" with the Shins singer) is great - not quite as peppy or indy-band-focused as a Shins release, but with great songs and interesting sometimes-synthy arrangements. Sold at Starbucks which is insulting. Ola Podrida's record (merci Kyle) has a great collection of alt-folk-indy-not-quite-country songs which I really enjoy. Also really enjoyable the quirky edgy pop of Pomegranates from their record from last year.

Haven't spend much time with the new Besnard Lakes but I didn't fasten onto it too much on the first listen. Anyone else listen and like it?

No comments: