Saturday, March 20, 2010

Don't think there's any need for me to pile on the praise for Pavement (ooh alliteration), as everyone knows how much I love 'em. I do like your point Derek that they are perhaps the quintessential nineties band. They are certainly the first band I think of when I am asked to describe why I thought the 90's were so great. And you really brought that home at the big Clash of the Decades when you showcased what is arguably their greatest song.....oh wait....

Anyway, moving away from bad memories for my favourite Scotsman, I would say (also not a surprise I'm sure) that I'm more warm and less luke about Big Star. If you ignore the hyperbole and just listen to the first two records (and only those two) you'll find some very appealing, melodic guitar pop. It's not groundbreaking, but they sure had their influence on the power pop movement that much came later in the decade. And they were sure swimming in a blue ocean at the time. If you know what I mean. Though not too dissimilar from Badfinger (whom I also love) just a little less poppy. Three good songs to start with are September Gurls, Thirteen, and the Ballad of El Goodo.

No comments: