Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Good choices all - I like the Rickie Lee Jones one Mike, I wouldn't have thought it, and it's a great record.

I've got about 50 that I jotted down - the list is at home though. I either like or love all of the records already proposed, and a number of them would make my (in particular Costello, Smiths, Strokes), so for now I'll put a quick list of ones I either (a) absolutely love to death that have been mentioned but I've got to echo or (b) great openers that haven't been. Also with an eye towards some representation per decade, despite the obvious tilt toward the sixties. The other thing I tend to exclude just instinctively (though not fairly) is an artist whose first record while great was signficantly bettered (in my opinion) by later records.


The Byrds - Tambourine Man (maybe my number one). Simply sublime, created a genre of music that's still going strong (anyone like a little jangle and harmony in their pop?)

The Doors - unbelievable record that still sounds completely unique.

Velvet Undergound and Nico - ditto comments for the Doors, though this record I love with a white (though appropriately nihilistic and cynical) hot passion. Maybe the most influential "indy" record of all time.

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks. It brought punk to the masses. Plus it's filled with great songs.

The Cars - Wow. Never had a band sounded anything like this. New wave hits the big time.

REM - Murmur - among all of their great records of the eighties this is the best. Defined the college scene.

Pearl Jam - 10. Hasn't necessarily aged well for me, but was so crucial at the time.

Weezer - note the connection to Rik Ocasek (yes, this one sounds unbelievable too). I knew the 90's was for real when the music on the charts sounded this good. So much crunch, wit, and angst all blended together.

And in terms of artists that looked great and then (more or less) fizzled, Oasis is a great chioce. The Strokes is another one. Tracey Chapman comes to mind, as do the Cars. There are many others which I will add tonight.

Two more questions:

(1) Anyone have the balls to say "here is the greatest debut"? (2) as a flip side question, which bands do you think reached the highest heights despite middling or just plain bad starts? (3) Finally, where is Derek? Still out at Betty's maybe.

No comments: