Friday, November 05, 2010

metaBeats

metaBeats: "In terms of the paul vs john debate, it is much like the beatle vs stones debate... ubiquitous , so in brief.... generally for me ( and most fans) John is the more serious artist, deeper music, deeper lyrics, Paul is the more superficial happy go lucky vaudville type.. ( 'a day in the life' is a prime example of this within the same song, compare Pauls verses against Johns....) Johns music stays with you longer (mind games is a particular lyric and music masterpiece)
However that said, my favorite post beatles record and song by far is 'band on The run' and the title track. Pauls singles are a joy to listen to and I never tire of them, so though John gets the nod, Paul is not far behind for me... I will let Brian expound on the wonders of his bass playing , which I never really appreciated until Brian pointed this out to me, and yes he is a fantastic bass player., perhaps underrated here if you can fathom that..
My daughters friend made a mix tape of all John lennon songs from Beatles era and post beatles era..to hear his entire cataloge on a mixed playlist in one go is wholely satisfying to a degree which surprised me.. I seem to listen to his carreer seperated into the 2 halves, but I highly recommend this exercise for any Lennon fan... I think if it was Pauls music it would be like getting too much sugar in your tea.."

No comments: