Friday, May 21, 2004

As self-appointed king of the Jazz Jarheads (any challengers??? I thought not), I'll start by saying no, I don't own that particular album. Not surprising considering that the guy put out something like thirty CD's in the 50's and 60's. And I would strongly recommend him for anyone looking for top-notch funky jazz from that period - he rocks (or as close to it as they did then), and he has soul. He also plays with wonderful musicians. However, as evidenced by the fact that I own two of his records ("Back at the Chicken Shack" and "the Incredible Jimmy Smith", both very solid) versus 12-15 recordings each of Coltrane, Davis, Shorter, Evans, Chet, Clifford Brown (hell, even 8-10 of Lee Morgan's), the man has some serious limitations in the diversity category, and doesn't merit anything beyond a sample of his best. Having said that, I'm pretty curious to hear the track that you loved the other night. When (not if) you buy the CD, you'll have to lend it to me.

On a completely unrelated note, I bought Nico's (she of VU's first release fame) 1966 album " Chelsea Girl" the other day, which is absolutely marvellous. I would stack her (the "Real Nico") up against Tuesday Weld anytime. Original Chamber Pop that sounds very contemporary against today's practitioners. You either hate or love her germanic delivery. For me it's imbued with sadness and worldliness.

On a further tangential note, I recently bought Dave Douglas' newest, which is great - complex and rich melodies and arrangements - and Samuel Barber's 1950's opera "Vanessa", which I would highly recommend if you're a (neo) romantic at heart.

No comments: