Friday, May 07, 2004

Way to wade into the fray, Mr. Doyle.

I also enjoyed both films, though in the case of 'House of Sand and Fog' (Ben Kingsley is the new bleak), my definition of 'enjoyed' is stretched to mean 'that which makes me want to curl up into the foetal position and weep for several hours'.

Been doing a bit of (gasp!) legal downloading this week, courtesy of a couple of sites: Better Propaganda and Pitchfork. These offer free MP3s but I also signed up for the Emusic service, which offers an introductory 40 tracks and then is $9.95 US per month thereafter. The selection is somewhat limited but I was able to find a few decent jazz and pop tunes and will probably continue with it for another month or so.

That's where I downloaded Deerhof's new disc "Milkman", which I've listened to a few times and still haven't been able to decide whether I like it or not (there are a few samples at the betterpropaganda site).

Not sure if anybody (ie. Derek) checked out the The Real Tuesday Weld show at the Drake last night but they sure seem to be getting a lot of press these days. They're playing a live set online on Tuesday morning at KCRW, an LA-based radio station with a great website and musical guests that seem, at times, tailored exactly to my musical predilections. Their playlists are always a good resource too.

Off to Seattle from tomorrow to next Friday but will keep in touch. Go Flames Go!

No comments: