Wednesday, May 26, 2004

In belated response to your comment on neo folky experimentals. The Julie Holland , I quite like, I bought her earlier disc and have the new one also. I guess it all comes down to the whether you "buy" into the authenticity of it or not. Always dangerous ground when the songs are without irony. I guess I am a bit tired of music that steers away from sincerety because of the danger of being seen as mopey...fake..etc. Using the "Irony" thing can be a bit of a cop out----see commercial radio songs et al...
Sure.... there are bands who can pull off either side of this debate, but I think its harder to do really sincere stuff without coming of cloying, and I think Holland does it for me. I like the Feist too, but I see that as more based in european or french retro pop not neo folk.......

No comments: