Friday, May 21, 2004

I have to ask if being a neo romantic means loving the likes of Spandau Ballet and Classix Nouveaux. If so count me in.

As for Dave Douglas its taken quite a lot of listens but its finally starting to grow on me. Very different in that respect from his last couple of releases.

Speaking of contemporary music makers what's with the hype over all these neo-folkie-cum-experimental types that seem to be all the current rage. I'm thinking of Jolie Holland, Shannon Wright, Leslie Feist and you can throw in some of the men like Will Oldham and Devendra Banhart. You may not have heard of all of them but if you've spent any time recently in Soundscapes you can soundpost most of them. And what do they have in common? For the most part they leave me cold. Too much trying to sound quirkily cool and, unlike our lad Jimmy Smith, way too little in the soul department. And enough with the slurring of words already.

Have a good long weekend y'all.

No comments: