Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Hey first off, the name is Derek. How many different ways can you guys find to spell it?

Secondly Wilco was a good, solid rock show. Nothing more, nothing less. They played pretty much all the songs one would want to hear them play and while they certainly were not played in a perfunctory manner neither were they captivating in a way that would make you think that the live show was giving you so much more than you could get from listening at home to the CDs.

I found myself at several times during the show thinking, how would Radiohead compare? The reason for the comparison being that Wilco and Radiohead are probably the only two bands of their stature that, up until Saturday night, I had never seen live. Purely conjecture on my part but I think Radiohead at Massey would be a much better "show". Judging by the rapturous applause and numerous (how many Stuart?) encores the Toronto crowd obviously thought otherwise.

Which brings me to another point. What the hell is going on with Toronto audiences. Is every single performance these days ovation-worthy? Its getting to the stage where I'm sitting down just to make a point. It's enough to make you cringe.

Note to Bloggers: the Brian Wilson experiment is officially off as unofficially agreed on Saturday night. Still like the idea, just want no part of "Smile". Any other suggestions?

No comments: