Monday, October 04, 2004

Yeah, frankly, and despite the critical hoopla, the idea of re-recording Smile 37 years after its non-release seems to me to be somewhere between ill advised and idiotic. I've heard a bunch of the outtakes over the years and they were reasonably cool, but i's sure as hell not 1967 anymore, so I'll need to be convinced as to the relevance of its ideas, sounds, and innovations. Keeping an open mind though (?!).

I, like the rest of you, don't see Pet Sounds as one of the great all time records...way too many banal (or puerile) and middle of the road numbers. Three or four great songs mind you - "God Only Knows" probably being my favourite.

Having said that, this is the sort of navel-gazing, mentally masturbatory exercise that I find quite fun, so I will of course shell out the $13 and participate.

And Stu, to counter your little prod, I think doing the same thing for a classical CD would be a great idea.

When's that CD Club again?

No comments: