Monday, October 25, 2004

Just sitting here quietly going about my business, listening to Britten's violin concerto, when I decided to check out the blog and here I see I'm now being coerced in to blogging. Don't actually have a hell of a lot to say but I suppose the purpose of the blog is to put down any old crap and say it like you really mean it.

Few dead seconds there as I struggled to come up with a semi-plausible discussion topic. And here it is. Live albums!!!

I bring it up as Neko Case's new live disc (recorded at Lee's Palace) comes out in a few weeks. What I'd like some of you chappies to do is fill me in on why we need the damn things. Perhaps what I'm hoping you'll do is let me know of any "live" records that I should have in my collection because of approx 2500 records I can't think of more than 2 or 3 that would qualify and they sure haven't seen a spin on the old deck in many a moon. Does Neil Young count?

Doesn't the entire bootleg scene survive on people passing along live recordings? I understand (well not really) the need for the obsessive collector to obtain every possible song the band has ever performed. Just gotta have that recording of Luna doing Soundgarden's "Jesus Christ Pose".

Personally as soon as I hear the words "live album" I run the other way. Alright my violin concerto is over so I have to go and cue up some more music in Winamp.



No comments: