Wednesday, October 13, 2004

I'm fine with the Honegger, Derek. I actually own it but haven't spend too much time on it as of yet (plus I'm going through a Poulenc stage) so that works great for me. The Holliger looks interesting but I'm a little worried that the non-20th C classical fans in the group might find it a little screechy and strange. Honneger had a reasonably melodic idiom, though it ain't Mozart.

I had narrowed mine down to two suggestions, so may as well throw them out to see if either sounds good to y'all. I was thinking of:

(1) Szymanowski's 2nd symphony - from 1910 or so, an interesting mix of modern and romantic style, very dramatic and listenable. Many recordings available, including a Naxos cheapy. I own it but am just begininng to listen to it.

(2) Zemlinsky's Lyric Symphony - From the early 20's - 7 songs without a break, featuring some beautiful orchestral/choral work, again in a transitional modern/romantic idiom.

I also though of Sibelius' 5th, which is generally considered his most important.





No comments: