Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Ian Brown reminds you of Oasis?! No, no no no no! Oasis reminds you of the Stone Roses!!!

Sorry to italicize there, Stuart but you had it coming... I'm not sure any band ever lives up to the hype but the first Stone Roses album is at the very least, one of the better pop releases in the last 20 years. Revisit it. Now!

Also, my apologies for my recent absence from the blogosphere and my non-committal on a cd club date but 1) I've been really busy with work and travelling like crazy 2) i have been itching and scratching for the past 6 days due to an unforeseen and wholly irritating allergic reaction I'm having due to, what is presumed at this point but cannot definitively blamed on, new fabric softener sheets, and 3) i'm waiting to hear back from some clients before i can firm up my schedule for the end of march. Are there any dates the week of March 28 to April 1st that won't work for any of you?

Regarding the NYT Magazine article and the quote that you posted, Derek...

It's a rule of thumb that marketing people are completely full of shit but in this case, I think Ms. Fishman has her head completely up her ass. While I don't dispute the usefulness of demographic segmentation, attributing the lack of enthusiasm for a Motley Crue revival among my cohert to bad parenting and schooling is a bit much. I'd like to think it's because generationally, we're less lame than the Boomers, whose endless evocations of Woodstock and 60s nostaglia become more grating with each 'For What it's Worth' soundtracked, 'bombs dropping on Vietnam and prostesters putting flowers in gun' montage that crops up on tv every other week.

But I think the main reason for the low attendance at these nostalgic tours is mainly a numbers game. There are a lot more Boomers than GenXers so the market is just smaller for the kind of self-absorbed, remember-when-we-were-cool navel-gazing that would precipitate the purchase of a Billy Idol revival ticket.

On another note, has anybody heard any music from a NY band called, "Brazilian Girls"? I almost picked up the disc a few weeks ago after listening to a few tracks and reading a lot of hype but was put off by the cd cover. Is this wrong? Am I shallow? You can see what I mean here. You can listen to them here.

Hope to have some dates suggested soon.

No comments: