Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Having started this whole thing I guess that it is time that I ante up, and, as an homage to the Nick Hornbie’s immortalized list maker, Rob Gordon, I think I’ll do ‘em autobiographically. (more or less)

It was not until more recently that jazz has come into my life in a bigger way, however two albums have been with me since my childhood and have gotten consistent play throughout the years. I remember loving them when I was a kid, though remarkably, I never got into my brother Peter’s Sun Ra album that he left behind when he headed back to Europe In the early 70’s.

(1) Modern Jazz Quartet – European Concert Volume 2. (1960) Although reissued on cd, the current version does not include the lead off track ‘Pyramid’. There is something about MJQ that to my ears is unique. It rarely whales or screams out at you, but it is lyrical like no other Jazz. Tunes like ‘Skating in Central Park’, ‘The Cylinder’ and Ellington’s ‘It Don’t Mean a Thing’ have grooves that run deep and emotes. I can’t let it go. …love Milt Jackson on the vibes!
(2) Dave Brubeck Quartet. ‘Time Out’ (1959) …and it’s all about the numbers…the complex rhythms and signatures…so structured yet mellifluous… not a note out of place…no collection can be without it…an album like no other?

The next four are cheaters but I’m going to throw them in because frankly, they get a lot of air play around our house. As Brian put it, these are albums that get played. I know I will not be winning the ‘esoteric critics picks’ award on this one…at least not this round!

(3) ‘The Jazz Scene’ – Verve 1994 – I think this one might actually be a legit choice. It is a double cd re-release of a compilation of sides that was put together by Norm Granz in the 50’s that highlights various artist on the label. It includes sides by Ellington, Lester Young, Hawkins, Strayhorn, comes with amazing liner notes that I have never read and nicely designed packaging that evokes old 78 albums….back when an album was actually more than a piece of vinyl that came in a cardboard sleeve!
(4) ‘The Mercury Song Book’ 100 Jazz Vocal Classics – 1995 An action packed 4cd box set …a real deal @ $24.95 !
(5) ‘The Verve Story’ 1944 – 1994 (1994) An action packed 4cd box set …a real deal @ $24.95 !
(6) ‘Body & Soul’ 80 years of RCA Victor Jazz – 1996 An action packed 4cd box set …a real deal @ $24.95 !

(7) Next up is Duke Ellington - ‘S.R.O.’ This is a Japanese import and features great live performances by Cootie Williams, Johnny Hodges, Russell Procope and Cat Anderson. This is what one reviewer has to say about it.

With literally thousands of Duke Ellington CDs flooding the marketplace at any moment, it pays to be careful before purchasing budget CDs with vague packaging. This compilation indicates it was recorded in 1961, though the likely dates of the live selections included on this disc more realistically ranges as late as the summer of 1956. The first nine tracks come from Ellington’s ~1966 Newport performance, and it is plagued by an out-of-tune piano, some sloppy playing here and there, and an awkward splice in “Take the ‘A’ Train.” What’s inexcusable is the islabelling of two songs: “El Gato” is actually “El Viti,” while “Open House” is correctly called “The Opener.” The normally exciting “Ad Lib on Nippon,” which is probably from the ~1965 Monterey Jazz Festival, begins awkwardly and the recording suffers from horrible balance. For a few dollars, this CD may be of interest to completists, but other Duke Ellington fans can safely skip over this disappointing release.

…what the hell do I know! I like it and thought it was actually good!…until now!

(8) Coltrane – Coltrane Time - 1958…a little out there at times with Cecil Taylor hammering away on the piano. It goes in and out of a groove… some times it works sometimes it doesn’t…I like the echoes of modern ‘serious’ music in the keyboard.

(9) Art Tatum – ‘Tea for Two’ a compilation of sides assembled from 1945 on Black Lion. Tatum is a genius from simpler times…which is not to say his music simple…au contrare!

(10) Miles Davis – Bitches Brew – 1969. Not necessarily the place to start with Miles but then what did I know. I’ve grown to like (respect) it over the years. I am of the belief that not all art has to be beautiful… and this often falls into this category. It is not the kind of thing I listen to often but I feel enriched by the experience when I do. I find music like this steps me outside of the box. (my little isolated world)

I’m lovin’ you picks gents....this is going to be a real cooker when it comes down to the count.

No comments: