Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I can't explain (which reminds...why no Who song?) why 'Just Like Heaven' would be one of those ground breaking songs because I don't think it's a ground breaking, or world changing song in any sense of the word, I just think it's a beautiful song, which takes me back to my adolescent days, when lyrics like "And found myself alone above a raging sea/that stole the only girl I loved/and drowned her deep inside of me" seemed sad, poetic, and profound. I'd go further to say it isn't even the Cure's best song, an honour I think you'd agree goes to 'In Between Days'. Still, it was nice to see that some other group of people dig 'Just Like Heaven' as much if not more than me.

Lists like this obviously say a lot more about their creators than they do about the artists referenced therein. I'm sure that a Pitchfork list would contain equally annoying selections, but mostly because they'd go out of their way to highlight the most obscure songs released in the past 4 decades. The Rolling Stone list confirms to me that they probably stopped being relevant as a music publication is the mid-1980s.

Glad you can hum the Black Flag song, though. I'd like you to do so at some point in the near future.

On an unrelated sad note, my ipod, which I've had for 3+ years, is gone. Sometime between early Sunday morning, when I arrived in Dallas, and yesterday afternoon, when I discovered it was missing, I either misplaced it, left it somewhere, dropped it, or allowed someone to take it from me. No matter, it is gone. And while I will eventually (or maybe even soon) get a new, sleeker, shinier, smaller one with a bigger hard drive and more bells and whistles, I will miss it. I can honestly say that I've listened to more new music, tolerated many long stretches of travel, and blocked out hours of inane cellphone banter on the streetcar, because of that device. Goodbye my little shiny white plastic and chrome friend. I hope that your new master enjoys you as much as I did.

No comments: